|Align 6mm||NonSlip Pro 6mm / Ultima 3.5mm / Travel 2mm||Asana Travel 2mm|
|Mat skill level||Start||Pro||Pro|
|Thickness, mm||6||6 / 3.5 / 2||2|
|Weight, g||850||1250 / 2250 / 1200||1600|
|Base||TPV||TPV / Rubber / Rubber||Rubber|
|Grip rating with cold hands||3★||4★||—|
|Grip rating with warm hands||4★||5★||3★|
|Grip rating with hot hands||4★||5★||5★|
|Grip rating with sweaty hands||3★||5★||4★|
|Symmetrical alignment markings||Yes||—||—|
|Folds up like a towel||—||— / — / Yes||Yes|
|Ease of care||Easy||Medium||—|
|Can be used as mat topper||—||— / — / Yes||Yes|
|Universality||Medium||High / High / Medium||Medium|
How to choose a yoga mat
As yoga becomes ever more popular, mat technology becomes increasingly more advanced. For beginners, choosing a mat is not easy. Often you don't even think about what kind of special features the mat should have. But in many ways, your safety and comfort during practice depend a lot on selecting the right mat. Some are more appropriate for intense sessions, while others are better for more gentle practice. Whether compact or soft and plush, they're all long-lasting, easy to clean, and create ideal conditions for training. Read through this guide to learn how to choose the right mat for your practice, and enjoy both the process and the results together with POSA.
The first and most important factor—temperature and moisture of your palms
Pay attention to the temperature and moisture level of the palms of your hands and soles of your feet during practice. Some practitioners' hands stay cold and dry, while others get hot and sweaty. This factor depends on the particular characteristics of your body and the type of yoga you are practicing. The maximum level of grip for each situation is achieved with different technologies. It's important to understand which technology will work best for you. The diagram below shows which POSA mat series provides the best support depending on the temperature and moisture level of your palms and soles. The horizontal axis shows the temperature and moisture level: from cold and dry to hot and moist. The vertical axis shows the scale of grip with the mat.
Every POSA mat provides reliable support for your palms and soles, but your user experience may differ depending on your anatomy and the specifics of your practice. The majority of users will consider the standard grip level to be sufficient, while a small number of users will feel that it's insufficient or, alternatively, excessive. We are mostly concerned with matching the characteristics of your mat to your expectations, and that's why we've put together such a detailed description.
For those who feel like their mat "always slips" or is "too grippy," it's worth following the instructions below:
- Do you slip on every mat? Do you think that your grip should be rock-solid? Do you want your mat to support your asanas for you? Then you should choose from the NonSlip Pro or NonSlip Travel series; these mats have the strongest grips.
- Do your soles stick to the mat while switching asanas or during passthroughs? Do you wish your mat was less grippy during dynamic practices? Then choose a mat from the Asana Travel series; the fabric surface of this series ensures you won't get stuck in the middle of passthroughs and vinyasas.
If these extreme situations don't match your experience, then any mat series will provide reliable support for your practice, and the grip level will correspond to the data in the graph above.
The second factor—mat size, weight, and thickness
Mat thickness makes a difference if you're concerned with the mat's dimensions in the rolled up or folded state. It's also worth taking into account with regards to shock absorption.
The thinner POSA mats are only 2 mm thick. They're convenient for storing and carrying to the gym or on a trip. These mats can either be rolled up or folded like a towel and placed in a regular bag or backpack. On thin mats you'll be able to better feel the contours of the ground, but beginners may find it uncomfortable to use without additional cushioning during longer sessions. In such cases, the thin mat can be used as an upper layer on top of another mat. This can be very convenient when you'd prefer not to use a communal mat during group sessions, or you value compactness while in transit. At this thickness we have the POSA NonSlip Travel 2mm and the Asana Travel 2mm.
POSA mats with a moderate 3.5 mm thickness are ideal for dynamic and intense practice. At 3.5 mm thick, you'll be able to securely feel the surface of the floor in even the most difficult balancing poses. These mats are often the first choice of professionals and experienced practictioners. The mat's rubber base makes the mat durable for use with various props, and it also reliably fixes it to the surface of the floor. The POSA NonSlip Ultima 3.5mm has the same thickness.
On thicker 6mm POSA mats, even people with sensitive joints can feel at home. You can hold poses for a long time on your knees, elbows, and forearms without feeling pain. They're great for yoga, fitness training, and meditation and they'll provide exceptional support and comfort. Besides the superior shock absorption, thick mats are better at holding heat and protecting the body from getting too cold during meditations and exercises while lying down. At this thickness we have the POSA NonSlip Pro 6mm and the Align 6mm.
All mats in the POSA lineup have the same dimensions: 183x61 cm. It's the ideal size for the average person of European descent. The mats do not weigh very much: from 850 to 2250 g, depending on the series.
The third factor — location
When buying a mat, it's important to pay attention not only to the features that ensure a comfortable practice, but also the to labor required from you to take care of it. Yoga sessions may take place at home, in the studio, or in the outdoors. Different types of mats will respond differently to getting dirty: some are more demanding when it comes to care, others just need to be dusted off from time to time.
- POSA Align 6mm are designed for intensive practice at home, in the yoga studio, and in the outdoors. POSA Align's anti-static surface attracts less dust and hair, and after a basic wash the mats will be completely dry within 15 minutes. These mats are the lowest-maintenance and require a minimal amount of attention.
- POSA NonSlip Pro 6mm and POSA NonSlip Ultima 3.5mm are the most universal mats; they will work for any type of practice. They feature a super-grippy absorbent surface made of polyurethane. We recommend practicing with clean hands and feet at home or in a yoga studio, as well as frequent cleaning with a moist towel.
- POSA NonSlip Travel 2mm are a great choice for all yogis, and they're perfect for sweaty practice and for traveling. You can clean them with a moist towel or wipe down after they become heavily soiled. It takes about three hours to fully dry.
- POSA Asana Travel 2mm are an excellent choice for everyone, and are great for hot and sweaty practice. They boast an absorbent fabric surface. Due to their small size, Asana Travel mats are easy to wipe down or clean in a washing machine. After washing, these mats will fully dry within about three hours.
POSA mats fulfill all the essential criteria
POSA mats do not stretch out because they contain a reinforcing webbing material. This may not be noticeable during fitness workouts, but it's incredibly important for yoga practice. POSA mats maintain a perfect balance between width and the other specifications. The shock absorption of the 2 mm–thick travel mats is six times higher than the conventional 1 mm–thick mats on the market. On top of that, they are just as compact! And the 6 mm mats, despite having plenty of thickness and cushioning, don't deform, and they allow you to confidently maintain your balance, even while standing on only one arm or leg.
Compare the different POSA mat series
You can read detailed descriptions in the sections dedicated to the specifications of the various mat series.
- Ultra-lightweight mats with alignment markings POSA Align 6mm
- Professional lightweight polyurethane POSA NonSlip Pro 6mm mats
- Professional polyurethane+rubber POSA NonSlip Pro 6mm mats
- Professional foldable polyurethane mats POSA NonSlip Travel 2mm
- Foldable thin rubber mats with fabric surface POSA Asana Travel 2mm